Vendor FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Find answers to vendor questions here!

Why Should We Consider Working For You?

We handle a lot of properties with a lot of different and varying problems. We have work. But we only hire or rehire contractors who do quality work in a timely manner.

How Do I Register With Capital Property Management As A Contractor?

Go to the Contact page and submit your name and information. Be sure to include a description of your work or product and all contact information.

What Do You Require Before We Can Begin Working For You?

We have to have an Independent Contractor Agreement signed. We also require that you have and furnish us proof of Workers Compensation Insurance and General Liability Insurance. We do not withhold taxes or other fees. You are responsible for your own taxes and insurance.

How Do We Get Work To Do?
We issue work orders for work that needs to be done or for products we need. These can be picked up at our office, or we can post them for you under your account on the web page. When you complete the work, return the work order with your invoice for the work completed to our office. Invoices will be paid after we assure the work is completed satisfactorily. We always check on work completion before checks are written or released.
What Kind Of Work Would You Have For Contractors?

We use almost any building maintenance or construction type workers including A/C and Heat, roofers, Painters, Electricians, Plumbers, Cleaning companies, Flooring installers, and general handymen. We also have work for other types of Vendors, and we use many types of products. Some of our Owners are involved in new construction. They will need even more contractors who are ready to handle larger projects.

Contact Us

  412B Grassdale Road
       Cartersville, GA 30121

Office Hours

  Monday-Friday   9am-5pm